So, those waiting along with me with baited breath for Dolly to come to life will have to wait a few more days.
I replaced the verified boards in the machine, and everything continued to work as it had previously. I looked at the rectifier board – and tried to swap out the F1 fuse. No joy.
I tested all the test points (TP1~TP5) on the board, and of course the first one is dead – and it of course links directly to feature controlled lights – which is the problem.
Now I’m faced with removing the board – which is itself soldered directly to the power supply. What a stupid decision – why didn’t they just add one more connector? Well, they did on later machines. But not this one.
Looking at the image there is one big black square, and three smaller squares with circles within them. One of these small squares is the bridge rectifier that is dead.
I’m thinking I’ll have to do one of 3 things
- Remove the board, and replace the three small bridge rectifiers. The problem is they are undersized for the task and fail. So, I’ll need to use larger parts, and mount them to the front of the board, and re-solder the wired connections when done.
- Remove the board and steal a working one from my friend Kevin –
- Remove and replace the board with a solid state option for $65 bucks from someone like www.pin-logic.com.
Because I’m terribly frugal – it will most likely be option 1 or 2. I do have some bridge rectifiers in a box of parts – so, I think I’ll most likely do option 1. If I destroy the board then 2 or 3 ;).
Fingers crossed, but hopefully not the wires.